Current Projects in the HMC Lab
Current grant work:
The HMC lab is currently conducting paid interviews with people who work with complex technologies (i.e., robots, artificial intelligence, algorithms in decision making). If you would like to participate in these interviews please contact lab PI Cameron Piercy (email@example.com) or sign up here: https://tinyurl.com/hmcstudy.
**This research was made possible through the KU New Faculty General Research Fund.
Check out our existing publications below:
- Lee, S. K., Kavya, P., & Lasser, S. (2021). Social Interactions and Relationships with an Intelligent Virtual Agent. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 150, 102608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2021.102608
- Piercy, C. W.,& Gist-Mackey, A. N. (2020). Automation anxieties: Perceptions about technological automation and the future of pharmacy work. Human-Machine Communication. Advance online publication.
- Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2020). The structuration of identification on organizational members’ social media.International Journal of Business Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2329488420955215
- Piercy, C. W.,& Underhill, G. R. (2020). Expectations of technology use during meetings: An experimental test of manager policy, device-use, and task-acknowledgement. Mobile Media & Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050157920927049
- Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2020). Employer reviews may say as much about the employee as they do the employer: Online disclosures, organizational attachments, and unethical behavior. Journal of Applied Communication Research. 48, 577-597.https://doi.org/10.1080/00909882.2020.1812692
- Lee, S. K., Kramer, M. W., & Guo, Y. (2019). Social media affordances in entry‐level employees’ socialization: employee agency in the management of their professional impressions and vulnerability during early stages of socialization. New Technology, Work and Employment, 34(3), 244-261. https://doi.org/10.1111/ntwe.12147
- Kramer, M. W., Lee, S. K., & Guo, Y. (2019). Using communication technology to manage uncertainty during organizational assimilation: Information-seeking and information-giving. Western Journal of Communication, 83(3), 304-325. https://doi.org/10.1080/10570314.2018.1518538
- Lee, S. K., & Flores, M. L. (2019). Immigrant workers’ organizational temporality: Association with cultural time orientation, acculturation, and mobile technology use. Management Communication Quarterly, 33(2), 189-218. https://doi.org/10.1177/0893318918821727
- Piercy, C. W., & Lee, S. K. (2020). Reconsidering ties: The sociotechnical job search network.International Journal of Business Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2329488420965680
- Piercy, C. W., & Zhu, Y. (2020). Transactive memory and the job search: Finding expertise and influence in socio-technical networks. Western Journal of Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/10570314.2020.1761994
- Piercy, C. W., & Lee, S. K. (2019). A typology of job search sources: Exploring the changing nature of job search behavior.New Media & Society, 21, 1173 -1191.https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444818808071
- Lee, S. K., & Katz, J. E. (2015). Bounded solidarity confirmed? How Korean immigrants' mobile communication configures their social networks. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 20(6), 615-631. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcc4.12142
- Bostwick, E. N., Liao, D., & Lee, S. K. (2019). Could I be pregnant? A study of online adolescent pregnancy forums for social support. First Monday. https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/download/9950/8069
- Cionea, I., Piercy, C. W., & Carpenter, C. J. (2017). A profile of engagement, topics, goals, and outcomes of Facebook arguments.Computers in Human Behavior, 76, 438-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.08.009
- Lane, B. L., Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2016). Making it Facebook official: The warranting value of online relationship status disclosures on relational closeness. Computers in Human Behavior, 56, 1-8. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.11.016
- Rozzell, B., Piercy, C. W., Carr, C. T., King, S., Lane, B., Tornes, M., Johnson, A. J., & Wright, J. B. (2014). Notification pending: Online social support from close and nonclose relational ties via Facebook. Computers in Human Behavior, 38, 272-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.06.006