Current Projects in the HMC Lab
Lab member Sun Kyong (Sunny) Lee has been paneled as a Top Paper at the International Communication Association-Human-Machine Communication Division!
Lab member Bumju Jung has received TWO top paper awards from Central States Communication Association!
Check out our existing publications below:
- Piercy, C. W.,Bisel, R. S., & Treem, J. W. (2022). Agency in computer-mediated communication: Bots and U.S. political elections. In J. H. Lipschultz, K. Freberg, & R. Luttrell (Eds.) The Emerging Media Handbook of Computer-Mediated Communication and Social Media, (pp. 549-559). Emerald.
- Piercy, C. W., & Gist-Mackey, A. N. (2021). Automation anxieties: Perceptions about technological automation and the future of pharmacy work. Human-Machine Communication, 2, 191-208. https://doi.org/10.30658/hmc.2.10
- Lee, S. K., Kavya, P., & Lasser, S. (2021). Social Interactions and Relationships with an Intelligent Virtual Agent. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 150, 102608. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2021.102608
- Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2020). The structuration of identification on organizational members’ social media.International Journal of Business Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2329488420955215
- Piercy, C. W.,& Underhill, G. R. (2020). Expectations of technology use during meetings: An experimental test of manager policy, device-use, and task-acknowledgement. Mobile Media & Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2050157920927049
- Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2020). Employer reviews may say as much about the employee as they do the employer: Online disclosures, organizational attachments, and unethical behavior. Journal of Applied Communication Research. 48, 577-597.https://doi.org/10.1080/00909882.2020.1812692
- Lee, S. K., Kramer, M. W., & Guo, Y. (2019). Social media affordances in entry‐level employees’ socialization: employee agency in the management of their professional impressions and vulnerability during early stages of socialization. New Technology, Work and Employment, 34(3), 244-261. https://doi.org/10.1111/ntwe.12147
- Kramer, M. W., Lee, S. K., & Guo, Y. (2019). Using communication technology to manage uncertainty during organizational assimilation: Information-seeking and information-giving. Western Journal of Communication, 83(3), 304-325. https://doi.org/10.1080/10570314.2018.1518538
- Lee, S. K., & Flores, M. L. (2019). Immigrant workers’ organizational temporality: Association with cultural time orientation, acculturation, and mobile technology use. Management Communication Quarterly, 33(2), 189-218. https://doi.org/10.1177/0893318918821727
- Piercy, C. W., & Lee, S. K. (2020). Reconsidering ties: The sociotechnical job search network.International Journal of Business Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/2329488420965680
- Piercy, C. W., & Zhu, Y. (2020). Transactive memory and the job search: Finding expertise and influence in socio-technical networks. Western Journal of Communication. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1080/10570314.2020.1761994
- Piercy, C. W., & Lee, S. K. (2019). A typology of job search sources: Exploring the changing nature of job search behavior.New Media & Society, 21, 1173 -1191.https://doi.org/10.1177/1461444818808071
- Lee, S. K., & Katz, J. E. (2015). Bounded solidarity confirmed? How Korean immigrants' mobile communication configures their social networks. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 20(6), 615-631. https://doi.org/10.1111/jcc4.12142
- Lee, S. K., Kavya, P., & Lasser, S. C. (2021). Social interactions and relationships with an intelligent virtual agent. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies, 150, 102608.
- Bostwick, E. N., Liao, D., & Lee, S. K. (2019). Could I be pregnant? A study of online adolescent pregnancy forums for social support. First Monday. https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/download/9950/8069
- Cionea, I., Piercy, C. W., & Carpenter, C. J. (2017). A profile of engagement, topics, goals, and outcomes of Facebook arguments.Computers in Human Behavior, 76, 438-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2017.08.009
- Lane, B. L., Piercy, C. W., & Carr, C. T. (2016). Making it Facebook official: The warranting value of online relationship status disclosures on relational closeness. Computers in Human Behavior, 56, 1-8. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2015.11.016
- Rozzell, B., Piercy, C. W., Carr, C. T., King, S., Lane, B., Tornes, M., Johnson, A. J., & Wright, J. B. (2014). Notification pending: Online social support from close and nonclose relational ties via Facebook. Computers in Human Behavior, 38, 272-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chb.2014.06.006